Foundation deposit, stone vessel
Dimensions Height 6.6cm
Calcite vase for oinment with still preserved remnants of oil inside. Traces of oil on the outer surface are visible. There is an vertical inscription in incised hieroglyphs: "Good God Maat-ka-Ra, beloved of Amun, Foremost of Djeser-djeseru (nṯr nfr Mȝʿ.t-kȝ-Rʿ mrjj.t Jmn ḫntj Ḏsr-ḏsrw)". Outside diameter 4.3 cm.
HistoryExcavated by E. Naville (Egypt Exploration Fund) in the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari in 1894-1895. Donated to the Penn Museum by the Egypt Exploration Fund.
- Weinstein James Morris, Foundation Deposits in Ancient Egypt, unpublished PhD thesis, University of Pennsylvania 1973, 157$
- Naville Edouard, The Temple of Deir el-Bahari. Part VI. The Lower Terrace, Additions and Plans, Memoir of the Egypt Exploration Fund 29, London 1908, 9
- Roehrig Catharine H., The Foundation Deposits of Hatshepsut's Mortuary Temple at Deir el-Bahari, in: Dorman Peter F., Bryan Betsy M., Galán José M. (eds.), Occasional Proceedings of the Theban Workshop. Creativity and Innovation in the Reign of Hatshepsut. Papers from the Theban Workshop 2010, Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization 69, Chicago 2014, 148