Nome: 14th Upper Egyptian nome
The location of Qis is unknown, it is identified with el-Qusiya, situated about 40 km to the south from Hermopolis and about 50 km to the north from Deir Rifa, on the west bank of the Nile.
The temple in Qis from the times of Hatshepsut has never been discovered archaeologically but its existence is attested in two documents: the long inscription preserved on the architrave in Speos Artemidos and the second stela of Djehuti.
In the inscription from Speos Artemidos it is demonstrated that the temple was in a very bad state of preservation and Hatshepsut decided to rebuild and equip it: "The temple of the Lady of Qis – which [to its limits] 16has fallen into ruin for the earth had swallowed her noble chapel so the kids were dancing upon the roofs of its rooms and 17Qerehet no longer inspired fear so the wretched recognised the defencelessness of loneliness and her appearances were no longer experienced – 18I cleaned it up and build it anew, fashioning her serpent-image of gold [...] 19so that her city might be protected in the bark of the water-procession of the land." The poor state of preservation of Qis in the reign of Hatshepsut resulted, most probably, from its location on the border of the area under the Hyksos control.
Second text gives the title of Djehuti as the Overseer of Prophets of Hathor Lady of Qis (jmj-r ḥm.w-nṯr n Ḥwt-Ḥr nb.t Ḳsj).
Scholars are then fortunate enough to have some information about the temple itself, the object of the cult and probably the most important festival as well as about the person who was responsible for the performance of the cult there.
Ancient people connected to the site: Djehuti ,
- Sethe Kurt, Urkunden der 18. Dynastie. Historisch-biographische Urkunden, Leipzig 1906, 386.4-13
- Allen James P., The Speos Artemidos Inscription of Hatshepsut, in: Bulletin of the Egyptological Seminar 16, 2002, 4, pls 1 [ll. 15-19]